Friday, October 28, 2016

Camping in the Old Days Photo


While browsing the Internet this weekend, I found a site which featured old black and white photos of the 1920's through 1940's "Tin Can" campers, campgrounds and the sites from that time.  Called "Camping In The Old Days" the site link is available HERE.  
This is truly a collection of picnic photos, including family camping, fishing, hunting, big family and church group events, trailers, tents over old cars, sports photos, business advertisements from all around America, taken earlier this century.
I found one photo that spoke to me.  It is of a specifically designed picnic table which I pictured in my recent blog about my South Dakota Road Trip.  This B&W photo was made in 1957, the year I was born, and was taken at Badlands National Monument.  
Badlands National Monument was authorized in March 1929 but was not "established" until January 25, 1939.  It was designated as a National Park November 10, 1978, just after I graduated College.  The visitor center was constructed in 1957-58, possibly when the park roads, campground and picnic tables were built.
When I saw the picnic table a few weeks ago, it appealed to me in a practical, 'keep your paper plate from blowing onto your chest' sort of way.  I share the photo I took below so you can compare it to the black and white photo above and enjoy its simple, and profound function.  Though the locations in the park are different, the tables are the same unique design.  All the way back to when I was born, up to now, it still functions as intended.  All through my life, and probably more.  Almost 60 years.  That's cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment