Friday, November 6, 2015

New Hiking Shoes

Merrill Moab Ventilator in Walnut
My Montrail Mountain Masochist shoes have finally failed, after wearing them daily for over a year. They both lean to the outside and have lost support around the arch. I have not hiked in them since they failed, because they hurt my feet too much. They also failed very quickly over a couple weeks. 
I didn't buy another pair of Montrails because this is the second pair I have owned. My first pair wore out the same way in less than 3 months and I returned them to the company. Montrail kindly replaced them immediately and I have worn them almost daily for about 14 months. I'm sure the first pair was a manufacturing problem, but at over $100 per pair, I don't feel I can justify buying another set. Other, more serious hikers have also reported similar problems where the Montrail shoes wore out prematurely.
My new shoes are my old shoes: Merrill Moab Ventilators in a nice outdoor-friendly Walnut color.  I wore these shoes for 2 years in Florida and loved them until they wore out (I tend to do that to my shoes). I like the way the soles gripped the earth, logs, stones and moss without slipping. They were a little too short once my feet swelled up when hiking, so my new pair is one half a size larger. I tried them on a couple weeks ago to make sure they still fit and they do. I tried on Solomon's too, but prefer the Merrill's.
They will work great as casual walkers and as my main hiking shoes once the weather warms up and the snow is gone in spring. They too will wear out as all other shoes do, just maybe not until I have hiked in them over a year or so. I didn't get the waterproof shoes as those are too hot for me. 
I have also been busy lately moving into a new place, getting accustomed to my new job and spending time enjoying the Colorado outdoors with my wife. I plan on getting outside this winter as much as I can, whether bicycling, hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing or taking road trips. My new Merrill shoes will help with all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment