Friday, November 8, 2013

Nice Weather

I left at 2PM today for a 5.5 mile hike along the Seminole-Wekiva Trail near my home. When I left it was 75 degrees and partly cloudy/sunny with a cool breeze, otherwise excellent outdoor weather in Florida.  I have recently been walking along the the paved trails near my home to save a little time in my busy life and still get outdoors.  Trail map here.
The temperatures were a bit high last weekend, near 90 degrees, with mid 80's during the week.  It cools a bit at night.  Today, it looked like it might rain, but it has not yet.  At home the windows are open, the light breezes are welcome, and it is cooler inside today than it was with the air conditioner on last week.
What I liked about today's hike were the small birds flitting from bush to bush, the sound of the wind whispering in the trees, purple and yellow fall flowers and the brightly colored seed pod explosions.  Fall was definitely in the air!  It was very pleasant, refreshing and relaxing at the same time.
I am hoping to get into the back country for some day hikes in the next few weeks as long as the weather holds.  I had the opportunity to sell my heavy old tents during a flurry of garage sales last month and am waiting to get a new lightweight one before I can go backpacking again.  I'm still thinking of purchasing the Tarp Tent Notch, a 1.5 pound backpacking beauty.  I have discussed the details of this tent before here. There are also some minor camping supplies I'll need to pick up.
Lake Ocheekobee
You need to check out the Big O Hike coming up over Thanksgiving week, November 23 to December 1.  It is a 9 day trail walk around Lake Okeechobee, the state's largest lake (also the nation's second largest lake completely inside the USA).  The hike has been going on since 1991 along the top of the dike trail that goes around the lake.  It has been hosted by the Loxahatchee Chapter of the Florida Trail.  This year it is lead by Sandra Friend, a friend of mine who is also Florida's number one outdoor writer and a hiker-extraordinaire.  You can also chose to hike just a few days if you have plans already that week.  Say hi to Sandy for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment